The session will be delivered by Trevor Dale from Atrainability – one of the leading providers of Human Factors Training for critical teams; including Health and Social Care. Trevor utilises knowledge and research from the aviation industry in his training to help professionals avoid mistakes and promote safer and more effective practice.
The Master Class will cover the following:
- What is 'Human Factors' as a subject?
- How does it apply to social work?
- How and why do we make errors in our decision making?
- The effects of stress and how to recognise it in ourselves and our colleagues.
- Situation Awareness - the cognitive function around building and sharing a full understanding of what is happening now, what does it indicate, projecting it into the future - what should/could/might happen next?
- Practical solutions: avoiding errors and making better decisions.
- Communication - bringing some of the simple aviation-based communication practices into social work.
- Debriefing for learning – learning lessons from near misses and mistakes.
This promises to be an interactive day that promotes discussion, challenge and an opportunity to understand how the lessons apply to social work professionals in their own working environment.
This is a FREE event for all experienced qualified social workers* from across the North West Midlands Teaching Partnership, which includes:
- Staffordshire County Council
- Stoke-on-Trent City Council
- Shropshire County Council
- Telford and Wrekin Council
- Cheshire East Council
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Partnership NHS Trust
- South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Keele University
- Staffordshire University
*Please note that this excludes staff who have been qualified under one year or who are enrolled on an ASYE course.